I got the recipe from Grit Magazine. Here it is with a few notes.
- pastry for a single crust pie (I took a little help here and used a store-bought crust. Spur of the moment pies don't always get home made crusts.)
- 1 cup old-fashioned (not quick cooking) oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (I only had whole, so I chopped them up and used them.)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 350˚F. Adjust pastry in pie pan and flute edges.
- Using electric mixer (I just used a whisk. Dirtying the mixer is not necessary.), combine remaining ingredients (Let the butter cool a bit before you add it to avoid cooking the eggs.) until well-blended. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until filling is set.
- Cool completely before cutting.