April 27, 2011

Shortcuts: Cuban Sandwich Pockets

First of all, you are aware of my preference for good ol' "from scratch" foods. However, now and then, I use a shortcut. There is nothing healthy about a crescent roll out of a can. I can't think of a single redeeming feature, nutritionally or ecologically speaking. But, they taste really yummy and, sometimes, in a moment of weakness, they jump into my cart. And, let's face it, they are much simpler to use than trying to make your own, although I do hope to give it a try sometime soon (just the term "butter packet" makes it sound intriguing).

Anyway, this is a recipe I dreamed up because I wanted a cuban sandwich. It's only a cuban sandwich in the loosest sense (it has ham and pickles), but it satisfied my craving and was quick to make.


Crescent Cuban Pockets
Ingredients
  • canned crescent rolls
  • ham
  • pickles (I used Tony Packo's sweet hots, because I love them)
  • cheese (Swiss is traditional but I used cheddar since I had it on hand)
 Traditional cubans also use roast pork, but I didn't have any. If you do, put it in too; it will really add to the flavor.

Directions
  • Unroll the crescents and separate into 4 small rectangles. Pinch the seams closed.
  • On each rectangle, place your desired ratio of meat, cheese and pickles.
  • Fold the rectangle over and pinch closed.
  • Bake on an ungreased baking sheet according to the directions on your brand of crescent rolls.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Those sound yummy! Trader Joe's sells their own brand of crescents and biscuits that don't have as much garbage in them as Pilsbury does. I would assume that Whole Foods has something similar, too. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Design by Peachy Keen Design