February 11, 2011

Lemon Curd

 I've watched countless Food Network personalities make and use lemon curd. Never once did I have the urge to try it. It just didn't sound like something I'd want. But then, as you may recall from the preserved lemon post, I bought some lemons. More lemons than I needed for the preservation experiment. More lemons than anyone who has no fear of scurvy should ever have, really.  So, I figured I'd give it a whirl. All I can say is that I'm sorry I waited so long! Lemon curd is a creamy, tangy bit of wonderfulness. It's also really easy to make. 

1) In a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, or a double boiler, whisk together:
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 stick of butter
1 cup of sugar
3 large eggs
pinch of salt
2) Keep whisking and heating (don't let mixture boil) until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. (It took mine about 20 minutes to thicken up).

3) Strain the mixture to remove any lumps that may have formed.
4) Stir in 3 teaspoons of lemon zest.

5) Cover with plastic wrap. If you press the wrap directly onto the curd (lightly) it will prevent a skin from forming.
6) Cool to room temp and then put in refrigerator to chill.


There are many ways to serve this. You can make a tart or use it as a spread for biscuits or scones. I have enjoyed it swirled into some vanilla yogurt with a bit of granola.


I hope you try this. It really is delicious!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Design by Peachy Keen Design