August 4, 2011

A Tale of Two Cabbages

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. So, what do you do when your CSA gives you cabbages? I'm the only one in my family who eats coleslaw and I've been reading all about the benefits of fermented foods, so I began thinking...

First, I found this recipe from Mother Earth News and then I found this recipe from Allrecipes.com. Some chopping, salting and mashing happened and now I have these two jars hanging out happily on my counter. The one on the left will be sauerkraut and the one on the right will be kimchi (a spicy Korean condiment).



Fermenting is a traditional way of keeping food before canning and refrigeration and some believe that fermented foods aid in digestion. I don't know about the digestion part, but this is a super easy way to preserve food and I know that the products will be yummy. So, I'm counting this one as a success. A few more days and I'll be able to sample the goods and see how I did. Give them a try-I think you'll be happy with how easy they are to make and how much better they are than store bought.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Design by Peachy Keen Design